1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Did you know that if you read your child three books per day for one year you will have read 1,095 books? That is a significant number when it comes to your child’s growth and development! Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that provide a solid reading foundation for school and learning success. Plus, reading together is fun!
How to Participate
1. Register and pick up a packet at the Children’s Help Desk.
2. Read together.
3. Color in a circle on your reading log for each book read. If you read a book more than once, you may record it each time.
4. When you finish 100 books, bring your reading log back to the library and pick out a prize and collect your next reading log.
5. Repeat steps 1 – 4 and receive a different sticker and reading log at each level.
After finishing 1000 books, your child:
• Receives a book and certificate.
• Gets an awesome jumpstart on success in school.
How Long Do I Have?
This program has no end date except your child entering Kindergarten, so do not feel rushed. Take every opportunity to read with your children, discuss the stories, sing songs, and attend library programs. This is your chance to ensure your child is prepared for school. Feel free to come into the library for new books, free programs, and to talk to our friendly staff!